Google steering toward reopening offices as early as April, further restricting remote workers

Read the full article here.

• In a somewhat unexpected move, Google is moving to reopen offices in April and begin the process of bringing its employees back to pre-pandemic working conditions.
  • By September, those wishing to work remotely more than 14 days per year will be required to fill out a special waiver.
  • All employees will essentially be “on call,” which means they’re required to return to the office if Google asks them to at any point.
  • Google expects all employees to eventually live (and relocate if necessary) within commuting distance of offices.
  • As an added incentive, Google is considering adjusting employee salaries to reflect the cost of living in their respective locations.
2 Likes

I was kinda amazed and unsurprised at the same time that Google have a Real Estate and a Workplace service group. I’m curious if these teams are formed during the pandemic to accomodate the working style. Regardless, by adjusting employee salaries, Google can optimize their cost on on-site operation. Yet I’m not sure if this adjustment affects negatively or positively to the employees.

They’re in charge of designing office space I think. In some articles on Google’s site, they said it is “The division designs, builds and manages Google’s properties, transportation and infrastructure around the world.”

This is cool. But Google is a giant. The real question is how smaller businesses adjust to this?

Real businesses (not the tech giants) adjust to this by making sure they don’t try to be Google, or FB etc. Copying businesses with near unlimited resources is a recipe for over extension and disaster.

Google’s always had their Real Estate and Workspace groups - they have multiple campus’ and were always looking for land in different areas. They have to house their server farms strategically and people forget that Google was one of those offices that brought in the “slide between floors” and “beanbag meeting rooms”.

1 Like

Thanks for the info! This makes sense if you’re a giant like Google. They can definitely develop their own system in managing all of this. Smaller businesses are better off learning and adapting what they think is good for them, and using outsourced software.