Include foam pad to protect monitor arms

many customers who buy your tables end up mounting a monitor arm in the process, what would be a great marketing idea is to throw in foam pads in the standing desk as standard accessory in the BOM. it’s relatively cheap but great for marketing and understanding to your customers

1 Like

Hi @nigelmansell! Welcome to the Labs!

I’m tagging @Nguyen_Nghia in here to follow up. He’s our marketing manager.

One thing we want to be clear with your suggestion.

what would be a great marketing idea is to throw in foam pads in the standing desk as standard accessory in the BOM

Does this mean we offer to sell the desk + the monitor arm + a foam pad in a bundle?

Monitor arm is another beast, different weight size and design should be another product workstream. What i am suggesting is if i were in the market for another desk I’d buy one if a polyurethaan or foam is offered as an option (or free), . cost is minimal but demonstrate you know your customers.

1 Like

Hi @nigelmansell!

I’m Long, Autonomous Hardware lead. We think that this is a very good idea. However, using foam would cause slipperiness to the monitor arm, so I think we could provide a rubber pad, which has better friction and will be able to keep the monitor arm in place.

Working on the size right now, since we want it to fit with most monitor arms. We’ll get back to you and maybe send you the first pad as a gift :grin:

A question, we cannot just throw a small foam into the big desk package, how should we inform the users that the rubber pad is for such use? Or should we provide it as a choice when people purchase our desk? Let me know your thoughts.

Oh and the pad should be free, right?

free is nice, however if i know this is an option, $2.99 option is still acceptable for me. but since you ship out from china, it’d be less work to just have it be included.

test the market, find if your customers are interested. next iteration could be color matched to the table top color. white tabletop comes with white pads and you’d have to worry to much about finding the right size

1 Like

Hey! I’m now taking care of this from @long. We think this is a great option and it’s not a very costly addition.

About the color, damn I almost forgot about the color. Instead of having multiple colors to choose from, what do you think about the pad be customizable for customers to cut it to the shape of the base of the arm? Doing that will keep the pad out of sight, looks cleaner imo!

I think another idea here is to offer a largish deskmat, with perforated parts that you can break off and use some of them as pads for desk mount, coffee cup, mouse pad, keyboard rest etc.

I have a real passion for the kanban way of organizing and being given a way out of the box to do this on a brand new desk would be pretty cool. And if you don’t use it, you can give it away at the next office christmas party :wink:

1 Like

For the deskmat, you remind me about this one. Is it nearly what you imagine, Chang?

if you’re doing deskmats, consider ones with front of the desk protection. my 53’ desk is only 1.3 years and already seeing scratches and paint peel off

[quote=“nancy, post:8, topic:344, full:true”] For the deskmat, you remind me about this one. Is it nearly what you imagine, Chang? [/quote]

Sort of. More like this:

So the idea is that the “large” desk mat would be the full length/width of a mat, but there would be smaller sections that could be popped out, or disconnected permanently to allow the user to distribute them across the desktop or even to other people.

Got your point. Some magnetic magic can help here. I need to think more about it. BTW, much appreciated for your sharing !

1 Like