Interesting stats about going back to work..

Stat 4

Stat 5

1 Like

I think companies and employees/individuals need to stop thinking about work as being “in office vs. out of office”. It’s both. Just like how even when you have left the office, your phone dings and you answer an email on the train home - it’s the same thing. The difference I have noticed is that in-person work means I get to add those physical cues (bodylanguage, voice intonation, clothing etc) into a virtual discussion when I am not “in person” with those coworkers. Being remote doesn’t make you harder to work with (unless you’re lazy to begin with) but you do have to make more of an effort to be an effective communicator, without relying on non-verbal means.

For me, while my company is saying they want us to come in twice a week - I will be coming into the office when it is appropriate for me to be there - not just because. I don’t go to the grocery store just to stare at stuff (unless that is a goal), so work should have at least the same level of focus. When I am in the office my focus is on other people+work; when I am not in the office my focus is on the work - augmented by the information I have gathered from in-person interactions.

3 Likes

I’ve been fortunate enough to only ever deal with work outside of office hours once for a week every 3 months when I have the on-call phone. Otherwise when work ends my worrying about work ends. One of the few things i’m not looking forward to when I switch from 0 work from home days now to completely work from home if I get this job - is that since home is my workspace - i’m going to feel the need to respond to email whenever it comes in and I’m conscious unless i’m on PTO. Having the seperation from when you have to deal with work is nice. I’m not sure what is more important to me though. I’m betting it’s the working from home flexibility though.

1 Like