Smart Desk - Monitor Lift

Hey, What would you think of adding a monitor life option to a smart desk? So that the monitor can be safely hidden when not in use?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaniVpbyvvE

1 Like

Hey @MD1, thanks for your idea! :heart:

I think it’s definitely super cool. The model looks amazing.

My concern is it seems unpractical for a use case in real life. On what occasion do I want to “hide” my PC from the desk? It would be great if you can give me some examples from a user aspect.

Taking a risk from leaving your $$$ monitors under-desk… I can say this is a nice effect but needed to check further.

@ha.nguyen what do you think about this recommendation?

Unsure how common the need is, but my desk space is in the living room. And during the weekend I would definitely like it to look clean (I can unplug and remove my monitor once a week) but also thought it would be nice when the work day is over and kids are home I can put it away without having to unwire things. Kind of helps separating work and life when work and life are so intertwined when working from home.

I thought maybe if a monitor arm that would allow me to glide it under the desk that would be great as well. (not flip it under the actual desk, just slide it straight down so it is in its usual position just under the desk and not easily visible.)

I do want it for a bigger monitor (say 34 inches), and not these small displays.

I hear what you are saying about risk of expensive monitor getting ruined under the desk. :thinking: I was thinking of something that would lay flat on the desk and pull up to cover it, but thought it would be flimsy and heavy.

I’ll continue to think of ways I can have a workspace convert into a living space when off hours. I just don’t want my kids thinking of it as a way to watch movies!

1 Like

Aha! Kids really know how to utilize things around them :laughing:

Kind of helps separating work and life when work and life are so intertwined when working from home.

I do see my lucky star here. The Zen Pod we built has the same concept you mentioned. Perhaps it helps in your case.

We can think of several ways for the desk transformation. However, what we are both struggling with is the space - not the furniture. Instead of

Have a workspace convert into a living space when off hours

what do yo think of expanding spaces?

I love the pod, but currently living in an apartment in the city, hence using 1 space for multiple purposes :wink:

I like the pro desk so I can raise it out of little hands way (those extra inches really help) – not to mention I love standing while I work! Still was trying to think about aesthetically converting a workspace into a living room piece.

I really like your quick and helpful replies! You build really cool stuff!